These days I have a lot to be grateful for. I’m currently enjoying my 20th week of pregnancy, Ethan has recently been selected for promotion (GO HUSBAE!!) and we found out we are having a boy! Life has been changing at what feels like lightning speed and some days I have to just sit still and thank God for all He’s doing for me and this little family of mines.
If I’m completely honest, there are times where I don’t think I do enough…I may feel like my business isn’t where I want it to be, that I’m not doing enough as a wife, that I’m not working hard enough or that maybe overall, I’m just failing at life. Maybe if it’s just me, but sometimes I think we get so wrapped up in the things we don’t have that we don’t take the time to be appreciative of the things we do have and thank God for blessing us with the things we are winning at.
So with that, I decided to start this week off with a grateful heart. Here are a few things I’m thankful for right now:
- God’s grace…because in no way shape or form do I deserve it, but you know what? He gives it to me anyway.
- My relationship with Ethan…We’ve both grown so much since we met more than 2 decades ago and my life has been so enriched by his presence. He’s not just my husband, he really is my best friend.
- My relationship with my mother… as I’ve gotten older, we’ve gotten closer and that to me is priceless.
- My unborn son…just knowing he’s growing inside of me, makes me feel so beautiful. It’s given me a new sense of purpose. Besides….I’m just so darn excited to meet him! And speaking of this child..
- I’m especially grateful for the Asos maternity essentials pack…y’all. This is the best thing for pregnant women since their child. It’s stretchy, comfortable and grows with me! I can’t thank my fellow mama-to-be and girlfriend Hillary for telling me about this! I’m seriously obsessed!
- Teddy…because no matter what kind of day I’m having, when I come home, he’s always happy to see me and loves me unconditionally.
- The slow season. Anyone who knows me, knows I’m always on the go. But over the past year, it seems like everything has been slowing down. I wasn’t shooting as much and instead, focusing on building a strong foundation for our marriage with Ethan. During that time, I wondered if my business could handle me taking a step back and not shooting as much, but I felt it was necessary for me to do, not just as a wife, but as a small business owner. During this slow season, I have been able to cultivate my marriage and I also feel like I’ve finally gotten to the point in this business-owning journey where I know exactly what I love to shoot and who I love to capture. It’s so hard to be sure within yourself sometimes when you’re so busy looking at other people and comparing your success to theirs, but that’s why taking a step back was so necessary for me. Not only is comparison is the thief of joy, but it also doesn’t give your own light a chance to shine as bright. The moment I stopped comparing myself, both as a wife and a photographer, was the moment I was able to see my heart clearly and hear the voice inside screaming at me. Following your dreams may not be popular, but the joy you have from chasing them? There’s nothing like it.
- For having the chance to live in Alaska. Never in a million years, would I have thought that I would live in Alaska. It’s SOOOOOOOO different from where I’ve from and all the other places I’ve ever lived. But it is so beautiful here! Between the wildlife, the melting pot of cultures and the nature (ummmm…hello mountains and Northern Lights!!), there is no room to be bored here! It may not be a big city, but embracing everything this state has to offer allows me to slow down and enjoy the this place for exactly what it is.
- Georgia won this weekend….I mean, did you see that game? After the emotional rollercoaster they took us through on Saturday, that in itself is enough to be grateful for.
10. I’m grateful for YOU. I’m grateful for your existence on this Earth, the gifts you have that this world so desperately needs, for your support in every aspect of my life and for who you are as a person. You are an incredible soul and your spirit is bright. Thank you for being…YOU.
So what are you grateful for? Let’s all start this week with a GRATEFUL heart. 🙂